Announcing the 2013 American Windsurfing Tour:
Trade Wind Events, who presented the hugely successful 2011/2012 AWT and the 2010 Pistol River Wave Bash, will be again organizing the annual American Windsurfing Tour.
• The premier event of the 2013 season is to be held at the famed beach at Waddell Creek, just south of San Francisco. It’s been scheduled for the last weekend in May to take advantage of the prime spring sailing season in Central California.
• The infamous Pistol River Wave Bash becomes the second stop, held once again in mid June during that magical time in Southern Oregon when the spring swells are still hitting and the more consistent summer winds are kicking in.
• Next it’s off to Punta San Carlos, on Mexico’s Baja peninsula, for some world-class down the line wave sailing. To be held over the last weekend of July into the first week of August, in the hopes of coinciding with a tasty south swell from the other hemisphere.
• Building off the success of the 2012 Pacasmayo Classic in Peru, the AWT has added it again for 2013. Pacasmayo boasts one of the world’s longest waves, and it is a true down the line Port-tack wave sailing venue. With the addition of the Pacasmayo Classic, the AWT now covers North and South America.
• In association with Trade Winds Events, the crew that has been bringing you the Hatteras Wave Jam is getting ready to go prime time with their event mid September as the East Coast’s fall sailing season ramps up in earnest.
• Appropriately enough, the last stop and tour championship is held at windsurfing’s Mecca, Ho’okipa Beach Park on Maui. The end of October is of course prime timing to catch both wind and swell in Hawaii, and will be by all estimations, an epic finish to the tour.